The Akron Art Museum is first and foremost a museum whose mission is to enrich lives through modern and contemporary art. The Development Officer, Major Gifts is a full-time, exempt member of the Advancement Department. As part of the Advancement team, the position implements and provides support for various efforts as they pertain to fundraising. The Development Officer, Major Gifts primary responsibilities are to generate new and increased revenue across all fundraising activities including but not limited to; Individual Giving – endowment, sponsorships, capital, legacy, annual appeal and support of development efforts for membership and fundraising events. Responsibilities may also include Institutional Giving – grants (public and private), underwriting, capital, endowment, general operating and event sponsorship. The position reports to the Director of Advancement and supports departmental strategy and tactics to attain financial goals set by the Museum Executive Director and the Board of Trustees.
KEY DUTIES include responsibility for:
- Responsible for identifying, cultivating and soliciting gifts of $50,000 and higher from community of individual and institutional donor prospects securing support for a set of museum-wide priorities including; endowment, capital, exhibition, annual, legacy, event fundraising and more
- Manage relationships of 100 or more prospective donors and will be expected to qualify and report to Executive Director, Director of Advancement and others regarding gift opportunities from individuals and institutions alike
- Builds productive relationships with individuals and institutions leading them through fundraising moves management resulting in new and increased gifts
- Participates in all aspects of the gift cycle; initiate contacts with potential major gift donors, develop appropriate cultivation, writes proposals (grants), solicitation and stewardship efforts, making the ask and securing the gift
- Provide monthly and/or quarterly funding reports as requested by Executive Director, Director of Advancement or Chief Financial Officer for Finance Committee, Advancement Committee, Endowment Steering Committee and/or Board meetings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field required.
- Minimum of 4-years successful development experience required. Experience in the arts and culture industry with increasing areas of responsibility preferred
- Interest in all aspects of arts and cultural institutions and a dedication to promoting the museums fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with museum staff, board of directors and committee’s
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments on time
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends regularly
- Willing to travel regionally, limited travel beyond Northeast Ohio
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: Human Resources, The Akron Art Museum, One South High Street, Akron, OH 44308 or HR@akronartmuseum.org.