We are aware that COVID-19 is affecting the scheduling of events and other gatherings throughout our community. As we all work together to respond to this crisis, we understand that many events on this site may not yet be updated with the most current closure information. We encourage you to check with event organizers and venues regarding the status of any event you are looking to attend. Thank you.
This award, made possible through the generous support of the Ezra Jack Keats Foundation, will be given to a new writer for a picture book written in the tradition of Ezra Jack Keats that:
• Highlights the universal qualities of childhood and the strength of the family
• Reflects the multicultural nature of our world
• Has an original text and original story (no folk tales or retelling of folk tales)
• Unifies illustrations and text
• Avoids stereotypes
• Is respectful of the child’s intelligence, sensitivity, curiosity, and love of learning
• Displays freshness and originality of language and literary expression
This award is given for distinguished writing and text, not for illustration. The intent of the New Writer Award is to identify and encourage early talent, and so to be eligible, the author will have no more than three children’s books previously published. Books that have not already received awards will be given preference. No books by committee members or their immediate families will be considered. View the full guidelines, for more information.
To be eligible, books must have a 2016 copyright date. Entries may be sent at any time during the year prior to the deadline of December 15, 2016.
A cash award of $1,000, coupled with the esteemed Ezra Jack Keats medallion (inscribed with the recipient’s name), will be presented to the winning author at the award ceremony, which is held every year in April during the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival at the University of Southern Mississippi. Further, a handsome gold seal with the iconic image of “Peter” in a red snow suit (from The Snowy Day) is made available to the publisher to affix to copies of the book. The Foundation expects that the winning book will carry the seal.
The publishers are asked to:
• Be sure the books submitted meet the above criteria
• Ensure and underwrite the appearance of the winning author at the award presentation, along with the editor and publishing house representative
• Agree to display the Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award seal on the winning book
• Send a copy of each entry to all of the members of the committee
Please email Ellen Ruffin for a complete list of the committee members and their addresses. Deadline for entries will be December 15, 2016. Selection will take place in January 2017 in time for the award presentation in April.