We are aware that COVID-19 is affecting the scheduling of events and other gatherings throughout our community. As we all work together to respond to this crisis, we understand that many events on this site may not yet be updated with the most current closure information. We encourage you to check with event organizers and venues regarding the status of any event you are looking to attend. Thank you.
The Summer Camp Counselor will be primarily responsible for the total welfare and program leadership of a cabin group. He or she is responsible for the health and safety of each camper, and all aspects of the camper’s experiences. The Counselor will utilize the programs and facilities as tools to help develop the camper in spirit, mind and body. The Counselor will also serve as an appropriate role model to all campers, promoting Christian principles and practices.
1. Participate in the pre-camp training and planning process.
2. Abide by all Camp Y-Noah and Akron YMCA Policies and Procedures, as well as the standards set forth by the American Camp Association (ACA) or other camp governing bodies.
3. Live with cabin group and help each camper adjust and grow with other campers.
4. Assist in developing individual camper’s independence, self-esteem, and peer relationships in the summer camping environment.
5. Able to work regularly from 7am to 11pm.
6. Design/lead activities that are safe, fun and promote cabin unity.
7. Promoting Character Development through the camping program with an emphasis on Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith.
8. Organize campers for daily cabin clean up and camp improvement duties.
9. Arrive on time.
10. Interpret safety and health rules, as well as other camp policies, to campers.
11. Actively participate in all activities including waterfront, evening programs, & special events.
12. Use behavior management techniques as outlined in the policy and procedure handbook.
13. Abide by mandatory reporting policies, as described in the policy and procedure handbook.
14. Ensures proper maintenance and upkeep of camp grounds and facilities, reporting any maintenance concerns to the Program Director.
15. Offer enthusiasm for camp life and programs.
16. You must be able to run, jump, and play for extended periods of time without break.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or staff leaders.
It should be understood that this Job Description has been developed as an outline for basic responsibility. Additional duties may be assigned by the Summer Camp Director from time to time as deemed appropriate and/or necessary.
The Counselor must be a minimum of 18 years of age and a High School graduate. He or she must be old enough to have maturity of judgment in everyday situations, experienced enough to help each camper learn new skills, and young enough to share in the enthusiasm of the experiences the campers are having. The Counselor must have understanding, patience, spiritual depth and an interest in youth. He or she must also pass First Aid and CPR training (offered during or before staff training).
This position would require the ability to listen to others, observe others actions, read text and information, comprehend instructions and manuals, physical ability to move about the camp property in various environmental conditions.
By the very nature of a camp program, Counselors play an integral role in the development of building strong character in the youth we serve. A Counselor is a representative of the philosophies and goals of YMCA Camp Y-Noah. He or she must strive at all times to work cooperatively with his/her supervisors and peers to achieve the goals and objectives of camp.