We are aware that COVID-19 is affecting the scheduling of events and other gatherings throughout our community. As we all work together to respond to this crisis, we understand that many events on this site may not yet be updated with the most current closure information. We encourage you to check with event organizers and venues regarding the status of any event you are looking to attend. Thank you.
The Akron Art Museum has part-time (up to 24 hours per week) opening for Security Guards. The ideal candidate will possess at least a high school diploma or GED and additional coursework and/or training in security, first aid/EMT, or relevant experience and an interest in and/or knowledge of art. Must be available to work weekends and some evenings, and have reliable transportation, clean driving record and clean criminal background check. Non-smokers preferred.
Must be able to work at least three days a week, including Thursdays and weekends. Some night shifts available.
Applications may be picked up at the front desk from 11am – 5pm, Tues. – Sun., or send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to: HR@AkronArtMuseum.org, or by post to: Human Resources, One South High., Akron OH 44308-1801. The Akron Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
SECURITY GUARD (PART-TIME)
A. Reports to Security Manager
Under the direction of the Security Manager, is responsible for the safety of works of art in the galleries, and the safety of all visitors and employees in the building. This part-time position is classified as non-exempt.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide a safe and secure environment for our employees, patrons, visitors, and contractors.
2. Provide effective protection for the museum’s artwork and assets from damage and loss.
3. Provide timely response and assistance to our customers’ needs. Ensure a positive visitor experience for patrons. Field visitor questions.
4. Provide active enforcement of the museum’s rules and regulations.
5. Provide informative security awareness education to our employees, patrons, visitors, and contractors.
6. Perform guard duties as assigned by the Security Manager, reporting to work when scheduled, on time, and remaining at assigned post until properly relieved.
7. Open and close the galleries, and continually check for damaged or missing objects. Report any changes in condition to the Security Manager.
8. Reports to the Security Manager, or in his absence a Security Shift Supervisor, both orally and in writing all accidents, vandalism, suspicious activity, unusual occurrences, and any violation of the Museum’s policies, or procedures. All reports shall be made as soon as possible after the event has occurred.
9. Helps with Museum activities and special events when needed.
10. Participates in required training and the Museum’s risk reduction program.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School graduate or GED required. Additional training or coursework in security, first aid/EMT training, or other relevant education preferred, but not required. Interest in art preferred, but not required.
Knowledge of safety/security practices and procedures, as well as prior experience in safety or security field preferred, but not required.
Reliable, punctual, and trustworthy, able to deal with the public in a friendly, courteous, and tactful manner. Flexible, able to adapt to a change in schedule and deal with unexpected situations as they arise. Professional appearance with good personal hygiene. Able to work cooperatively with co-workers.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Possess demonstrated ability to remain calm and task-focused in emergencies, and to respond appropriately to any emergency or unusual occurrence. Proven ability to communicate well and establish rapport with a diverse population. Able to follow given first aid protocol and provide assistance to sick or injured guests or employees. Physically fit, able to lift up to 50 pounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Standing for extended periods of time, walking on concrete floors, working outdoor events in variable weather conditions, patrolling outdoors in all seasons and weather. Communicating with others verbally and writing reports when necessary. Lifting up to 50 pounds.
This list is meant to be illustrative of the usual types of activities and working conditions for this position, and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to
Human Resources, Akron Art Museum, 1 S. High St., Akron OH 44308
or by email to HR@akronartmuseum.org