A. Reports to Security Manager.
B. In the absence of the Security Manager, reports to the Operations Manager or the Chief of Staff.
Under the direction of the Security Manager, is responsible for the safety of works of art in the galleries and in storage, and the safety of all visitors and employees in the building. All Security Guards report to the Security Shift Supervisor when the Security Manager is not on site. This part-time position is classified as non-exempt.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide a safe and secure environment for our employees, patrons, visitors, and contractors.
2. Provide effective protection for the museum’s artwork and assets from damage and loss.
3. Provide active enforcement of the museum’s rules and regulations.
4. Provide informative security awareness education to our employees, patrons, visitors, and contractors.
5. Open and/or close the building each day, following procedure and checking for any unusual activity. Set all necessary building alarms at closing, using assigned codes.
6. Open and/or close the museum to the public Tuesday – Sunday, preparing the galleries, moneybags, etc. and ensuring all necessary staff are on site.
7. Create the daily post assignments and break schedule and supervise the Security Guards throughout the day.
8. Operating the SiriusXM Radio as directed by standard or event protocol.
9. Deliver the incoming mail each day. Facilitate all other museum deliveries and invoices.
10. Keep the security department stocked with office supplies, medical supplies, and put in order requests for additional security needs.
11. Manage the DSX security system, programming alarms as needed. Assure security of restricted areas by providing escort of vendors and contractors through such areas and monitoring badge access and use. Keep track of keys, badges, and property passes.
12. Obtain and review camera footage when necessary to investigate situations.
13. Be on call and on site for the entirety of assigned shift, unless relieved by another Security Shift Supervisor or the Security Manager.
14. Supervise special events and rentals when needed. Assure adequate staffing and obtain payroll information for the Akron Police Department. Work with the Events Manager on duty and respond to requests as needed. Control the movement of vendors through building.
15. Be the liaison between Security Guards and administration, and relay any relevant issues brought up by Security Guards to the Security Manager.
16. Respond to all calls from Security Guards and Museum Staff when on duty. Be ready and able to resolve conflicts professionally and responsibly, and file incident reports properly as soon as an issue occurs.
17. Communicate, both orally and in writing, with Security Manager, Chief of Staff, or relevant department head to address any issues or incidents that may occur.
18. Monitor for safety concerns throughout the building and communicate with Building Services to resolve issues as needed.
19. Be ready and able to act in an emergency situation according to Akron Art Museum protocol. Facilitate the evacuation of all employees and visitors in the building if necessary.
20. Attend meetings and training sessions as assigned.
21. Perform additional duties as assigned by the Security Manager.
High School graduate or GED required. Additional training or coursework in security, management, first aid/EMT training, or other relevant education.
Knowledge of safety/security practices and procedures and Akron Art Museum emergency protocol. Prior experience in safety or security preferred. Experience in management or other relevant leadership role preferred.
Reliable, punctual, and trustworthy, able to deal with the public in a friendly, courteous, and tactful manner. Flexible, able to adapt to a change in schedule and deal with unexpected situations as they arise. Responsible, self-sufficient, able to take initiative. Strong leader, positive attitude, able to keep up morale and look out for the well-being of others. Able to work cooperatively with co-workers.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Possess demonstrated ability to remain calm and task-focused in emergencies, and to respond appropriately to any emergency or unusual occurrence. Proven ability to communicate well and establish rapport with a diverse population. Strong leadership skills. Able to follow first aid protocol and provide assistance to sick or injured guests or employees. Physically fit, able to lift up to 50 pounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Standing for extended periods, walking on concrete floors, working outdoor events variable weather conditions, patrolling outdoors in all seasons and weather. Communicating with others verbally and writing reports when necessary. Lifting up to 50 pounds. Stressful situations due to occasional conflicts with members of the public.
This list is meant to be illustrative of the usual types of activities and working conditions for this position, and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Akron Art Museum
1 S. High St.
Akron OH 44308
or by email to HR@akronartmuseum.org
The Akron Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.