The Senior Events Manager is responsible for developing rental and event opportunities at the Akron Art Museum.
Establishes efforts to promote the museum as a rental facility and group tour destination. Coordinates internal
museum events including exhibition openings, donor recognition events and other events as required. The Events
Manager will support member events and fundraising initiatives. Oversees/supervises Event Manager and/or other
event staff when applicable. The Senior Events Manager works closely with Development Officer, Facility and Security Managers, Visitor Services Manager and other affected departments providing exceptional visitor experience. Coordinates with Business Office, Director of Advancement, Curatorial, Marketing and Design and other affected areas in the management of all events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Facility Rentals (External Events)
1. Selling/booking, marketing, contract negotiation, management, and execution for all Museum facility rentals.
Prepare annual budgets and plans to achieve targets and goals for rental programs.
2. Respond in a timely manner to all inquiries, arrange tours for prospective clients, schedule events, and
coordinate event logistics for private events such as weddings, corporate functions, dinners, luncheons,
meetings, receptions, presentations, cocktail parties and other.
3. Organize the set-up of events, including the preparation of areas to be used by guests and contractors such as caterers and musicians. Attends all functions to monitor the execution of plans, contractor performance and clean-up.
4. Develop and maintain master facility rentals calendar, coordinating with master AAM calendar. Maintain ongoing
communication with all AAM departments to coordinate external and internal event scheduling.
5. Facilitate communications between rental client and client-contracted vendors for planning and executing
6. Coordinate event set-up/tear-down and deliveries/pickups from outside vendors.
7. Prepare and report in a timely manner all purchase orders, executed contracts, and invoices for approval.
8. Work with other AAM departments/staff to coordinate rental details, including but not limited to Building
Services to coordinate maintenance needs, set-up and tear-down, Security to assure staffing for all events, and
the Museum Shop for staffing needs. Visitor Services staff for D@D and other programs and events.
B. Museum Events/Programs (Internal)
1. Downtown @ Dusk (D@D) Concert Series
a. Promote series working with sponsors and internal and external resources.
b. Order supplies and beverages.
c. Submit invoices promptly for payment.
d. Coordinate on-site/day-of staffing and volunteers.
e. Work with AAM departments/staff on day-of-event logistics.
2. Fundraising and Public Programs Events
a. Assist Director of Advancement with coordination of Museum’s fundraising events, including annual
Wine Auction and Art & Ale or others asplanned.
b. Work to plan and implement all member-related events, exhibition openings, program
receptions, and others as required.
c. Coordinate all internal catering and logistics as needed. Internal event coordination may include,
but is not limited to, the following duties:
i. Onsite event supervision from start time to ending time.
ii. Communications/planning with event managers from other local venues.
iii. Coordinating event rentals, equipment needs and décor-related items.
iv. Securing entertainment.
v. Working with AAM staff to schedule docents, volunteers or visitor services staff as needed.
vi. Participates regularly held event planning committee meetings.
vii. Coordinating menus with caterers.
C. Café Operations (as applicable)
1. When the café is in operation, oversees orders of café food and beverage items from major and local
2. Oversees liquor inventory, working with Finance, and ordering ensuring special orders and bulk ordering for
events are processed timely and within budget.
3. Supervises part-time staff when the café is in operation. Works to ensure staff are properly trained,
developed and high quality of food and beverage being served is maintained.
4. Assists in café service during peak hours as needed.
5. Maintains proper cleanliness standards and follows all health department guidelines.
D. Additional Duties
1. Assure adherence to Akron Art Museum’s facility rental policies and procedures for allbookings with AAM
staff, onsite caterer, clients, and outside vendors.
2. Review rental policies at least annually with Director of Advancement, making changes as necessary.
3. Supervise quality of outside vendors.
4. Participates in the preparation of the annual facility rentals budget.
5. Prepare event revenue, expense and attendance figures as required by management.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum of 4-years professional experience in Event Management, Sales, Hospitality, Communications, Supervision,
and/or non-profit environment preferred. Food Safety Level 1 and II Certification preferred; required within first 60
days. Must be 21 years of age. Must be able to effectively collaborate and function as a member of a team as well as
function independently; highly self-motivated and able to work well without close supervision, with the ability to follow
through on details in a timely manner; reliable, energetic, and well-organized. Excellent communication skills, both
verbal and written, are essential, as are outstanding interpersonal skills. Basic proficiency in Outlook, Excel and other
Microsoft Office programs is required. The job will require a flexible schedule, including working evenings and/or
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application online at www.akronartmuseum.org/careers/