SPACES seeks a creative leader who is committed to artists and community and values experimentation and collaboration. The Executive Director will champion SPACES’ mission to be a resource and public forum for artists who explore, experiment, and challenge the status quo. The ideal candidate is a strong administrator with experience fundraising for and implementing artistic exhibitions and programs. For more information and to apply, click here.
The Opportunity: The next Executive Director will implement a vision based on SPACES’ mission to be a resource and public forum for artists who explore, experiment, and challenge the status quo. The Executive Director will have the opportunity to work with the board and staff to develop a new strategic plan.
The Position: SPACES’ Executive Director champions the organization’s mission and artists. The role oversees all aspects of the organization’s operations, develops and guides its programs, and provides imaginative leadership. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works strategically with the Board and committees to fulfill the mission.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Executive Director is responsible for the administration and operation of all the functional areas of the organization, including:
- Hiring and managing staff: developing, mentoring, and retaining highly qualified, diverse, and committed staff and volunteers. Fostering staff opportunities for creative and professional growth, shared commitment, and meaningful engagement.
Overseeing the creative direction of SPACES—providing room for artists, staff, and board to experiment while offering guidance and feedback along the way.
- Curatorial oversight in developing programs, managing the internationally regarded residency program, and developing projects in all media and presentation formats, either directly or by delegating to other staff, guest curators, and artists.
- Collaborating with the staff, Board of Directors, and Programming Committee Chair to preserve and support the artistic excellence, inventiveness, and integrity of programs; evaluate the impact, efficacy, and sustainability of current programs; and to establish priorities, processes, and resources for new and evolving program development.
- Collaborating with board leadership on effective, progressive implementation of the strategic plan.
- Building and maintaining donor relations, working with the Development Director to execute timely grant applications, and conceiving, leading, and overseeing SPACES successful fundraising events. Working with the Development Director and Fundraising Committee Chair to raise funds from private, corporate, foundation, and government sources.
- Providing prudent fiscal management—working with accountants, auditors, and the Board Treasurer on monthly and annual financials, developing annual budgets in consultation with the staff and board, monitoring budget-to-actual reports on a monthly basis, and coordinating the annual audit and 990 filing.
- Enhancing and expanding meaningful community engagement, connections, and strategic partnerships, and alliances to advance SPACES’ vision, impact, and resources.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of SPACES, including separate ownership of the first floor of the Van Rooy Building and collaboration with the other two owners.