Claire Marks - Jubilee: Marbled Papers
Gallery of Framing and Art, “Local Artist Series” for June 2019
Marbling is the art of transferring paint floating on water to another surface, traditionally paper. The process has its origins in Japan, where it is called suminagashi (meaning “floating ink”). With the proliferation of printed books in the 15th century, these intricate, decorative papers became widely used as the end sheets of finely bound books and as their covers.
“I call this show a “Jubilee” because the term captures the feeling I have when pulling each paper from the marbling tray.” ~ Claire
Claire became fascinated with paper marbling while studying bookmaking at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Using what materials she had on hand, Claire developed her own marbling technique using oil paints thinned down to a watery consistency. Every paper pulled from the tray was a surprise, because the oil is impossible to control on the water. Claire has recently been teaching herself more traditional marbling techniques.
“Though technically more of a challenge, traditionalView more
INDIVIDUAL DATES & TIMES*
- Jun 17, 2019 at 10:00 am - 04:00 pm (Mon)
- Jun 18, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Tue)
- Jun 19, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Wed)
- Jun 20, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Thu)
- Jun 21, 2019 at 10:00 am - 04:00 pm (Fri)
- Jun 22, 2019 at 10:00 am - 04:00 pm (Sat)
- Jun 24, 2019 at 10:00 am - 04:00 pm (Mon)
- Jun 25, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Tue)
- Jun 26, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Wed)
- Jun 27, 2019 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Thu)
Additional time info:
Opening Reception and “Meet The Artist”
Saturday June 1st
12 noon until 3:00 pm
131 Ghent Rd., Fairlawn, OH 44333
Free parking on plaza lot.