We are aware that COVID-19 is affecting the scheduling of events and other gatherings throughout our community. As we all work together to respond to this crisis, we understand that many events on this site may not yet be updated with the most current closure information. We encourage you to check with event organizers and venues regarding the status of any event you are looking to attend. Thank you.
Department/Division: Department of Theatre and Dance/Provost
Classification: Technical Specialist (L)
Status: Full-time, New, exempt
Position Summary: The Assistant Technical Director of the Department of Theatre and Dance will act as an assistant to the Technical Director in managing the theatre production shops, and training and supervising student workers. Specifically, the ATD will assist in overseeing the sound/audio, lights, props, construction and installation of scenery and other theatre-related technology for all University productions, and will also provide technical support for University public functions and for outside vendor space rentals.
· Assist the Technical Director (TD) in daily facility duties and supervision of student workers (i.e. safety, attendance, instruction, supervision, timesheets).
· Inventory, manage and run in house sound system and equipment for University events (i.e., EQLS, Marting Lecture Series, University Visitation Days, music rentals, guest lecturers).
· Assist with construction of scenery and set up for BW Theatre, Music Theatre, Opera and Dance productions.
· Work with guest sound artist for advance sound productions (musicals and concerts), coordinating with rental company, receiving/sending back equipment, and coordinating requests from guest sound artist as required.
· Set-up and technical supervision for university events and rentals. (i.e., EQLS, Marting Lecture Series, University Visitation Days, music rentals, guest lecturers).
· Assist with lighting hang, focus and maintenance of equipment.
· Train and oversee students running, operating and maintaining sound and projection equipment.
· Oversee students in transferring design specifications from draftings to realized projects.
· Assist with maintenance of tools and technical equipment, ordering of scene shop stock supplies and set construction materials.
· Train students in the proper use of tools and equipment, construction techniques, lighting, sound and any specialized theatre techniques such as welding, rigging, etc.
The candidate must have a Bachelor of Arts degree with proven professional experience in the area of technical theatre, with a strong background in lighting/sound. Expertise in carpentry skills essential. Knowledgeable in Vectorworks. Good organizational, customer service, and communications skills a must. Must possess good technology skills.
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Capable of performing duties that require climbing stairs and ladders, operating genie lifts, bending and twisting, lifting at least 50 pounds and working safely at heights up to 60’. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions and wearing safety equipment.
A competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, sick leave, vacation, holidays, short-term disability, 403 (b) retirement plan, life insurance and tuition remission benefits for employee and family. To learn more about the University’s benefits package, go to: http://www.bw.edu/resources/hr/
The application deadline is November 18, 2016. Send resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references in one (1) Word document or one (1) PDF and submit via the To Apply link on BW’s Employment and Careers’ web page at https://www.bw.edu/employment
Official college transcripts will be required and background check conducted on finalists.
Baldwin Wallace University is an EEO/AA employer and educator. At BW, we support and encourage diversity in a variety of forms. We value and appreciate inclusive excellence in the classroom, within extracurricular activities, and as we engage our community partners. Learn more at Diversity Affairs – https://www.bw.edu/about/diversity/