DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
The Director of Marketing and Communications supports the highest strategic priorities of Karamu and serves as a member of the leadership team. He or she will focus on growing new audiences while retaining and deepening relationships with current audiences. Through effective communication of the mission, vision and programming activities, the Director of Marketing and Communications develops and executes strategies to generate all earned ticket revenues for the theatre, education and community programming. The Director of Marketing and Communications plays a leading role in Karamu’s strategic planning initiatives which currently include 1) maintaining minimum ticket sales and fees at 65% of capacity for all performances, programs and services and 2) Increasing earned revenue.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Collaborate regularly with the artistic, education and programming teams to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision, direction and activity.
- Execute the planning and implementation of all marketing, public relations, publications, and sales programs to increase earned income through single ticket and season ticket sales, annually.
- Shape public perception of the theatre, arts education and programming through execution of brand identity via print communications, publications, electronic media, media relations, public events, and physical spaces.
- Manage annual expense budget to run all marketing, publicity, sales and graphic design efforts and operations.
- Work as part of the leadership team on short and long-term strategic issues.
- Lead team of staff, vendors, consultants and volunteers to achieve annual and long-range goals.
- Cultivate an innovative working environment that enables growth in new technology and marketing practices to ensure Karamu’s vitality.
- Develop community ties and serve on committees to further develop the profile of arts within the city and state.
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the Karamu’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience/costumer development goals and strategies.
- Expand public relations efforts to increase national profile, as well as increase local awareness of the theater’s national programs.
- Oversee the management of the website and social media campaigns.
- Use marketing efforts to support increased facilities rental.
- Collaborate with other internal departments to improve the patrons’ experience.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to integrate organizational strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts, and with the Box Office to increase sales and ensure excellent customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION REQUIRES:
- Experienced manager and team builder
- Effective communicator
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strategic and analytical skills
- Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as the implementation phase
- A genuine interest in and knowledge of the theatre
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong writing skills
- Graphic design skills a plus
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
- Experience demonstrated by at least 3 – 5 years of direct, relevant past marketing and/or communication roles.
- Education or additional experience in lieu.
- Proven initiative, goal orientation and innovative thinking.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work successfully under pressure to meet deadlines and goals.
Compensation will be commensurate with the experience and competitive with similar positions throughout the region. The range of benefits include medical and paid time off.
Applicants for the position should send resumes, cover letter and salary requirements to:
2355 E. 89th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
NO PHONE CALLS